Lake trekking in India is a unique and thrilling experience that can be enjoyed by both experienced trekkers and those new to the activity. It involves trekking through beautiful mountain lakes and challenging pathways, while taking in the stunning views of some of India’s most spectacular landscapes.
The most popular lake trekking destinations in India are the Himalayas, the Western Ghats, the Sunderbans and the Nilgiris. Each of these areas has its own unique charm and offers different kinds of lake trekking experiences.
The Himalayas are home to some of the most beautiful and challenging lake treks in India. Popular destinations include the picturesque Dal Lake, situated in the Kashmir Valley, and the serene Nainital Lake in Uttarakhand. Both of these offer breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
The Western Ghats are another popular destination for lake trekking in India. The lush green forests and the picturesque waterfalls make it a perfect place to explore. Popular treks include the Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar lake trek, the Kudremukh lake trek in Karnataka, and the Coonoor-Ooty lake trek in Tamil Nadu.
Sunderbans in West Bengal
The Sunderbans in West Bengal is a unique and thrilling experience for lake trekkers. It is home to a variety of wildlife and offers spectacular views of the mangroves and creeks. Popular treks in this region include the Sunderbans-Diamond Harbour lake trek and the Sunderbans-Gangasagar lake trek.
Finally, the Nilgiris in Tamil Nadu is home to some stunning lake treks. Popular treks include the Nilgiris-Ooty lake trek and the Nilgiris-Kodaikanal lake trek. Both of these offer stunning views of the lush green forests and the beautiful mountain ranges.
Lake trekking in India is a thrilling and rewarding experience. It is a great way to explore some of India’s most picturesque landscapes and experience the unique culture and beauty of this country.
- Kheerganga Trek, Himachal Pradesh: Located in the Parvati Valley of Himachal Pradesh, Kheerganga trek is one of the most beautiful and popular treks in India. The trek begins from Barshaini, a small village in Parvati Valley, and takes about 6-7 hours to complete. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayan peaks, lush green meadows and snow-fed streams. Once you reach the top, the main attraction is the Kheerganga Lake, a beautiful lake which is believed to have medicinal properties.
- Deoriatal-Chandrashila Trek, Uttarakhand: This trek is one of the most beautiful and challenging treks in India. It starts from the village of Sari, located in the Garhwal Himalayas, and takes you up to a height of 3,400 meters. On the way, you will pass through lush green meadows, spectacular glaciers, and a tranquil lake, Deoriatal. The trek culminates at the peak of Chandrashila, where you can enjoy breathtaking views of the snow-capped Himalayan range.
- Dodital Trek, Uttarakhand: This is a moderate level trek, located in the Garhwal Himalayas. The trek starts from the quaint village of Uttarkashi and takes you to the beautiful Dodital Lake, which is believed to be the home of the Hindu God, Lord Ganesha. On the way, you will come across lush meadows, majestic snow-clad peaks, and dense forests.
- Valley of Flowers Trek, Uttarakhand: This trek is one of the most beautiful and challenging treks in India. It starts from the village of Govind Ghat, located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. The trek takes you through lush green meadows, spectacular glaciers, and a tranquil lake, Hemkund Sahib. The main attraction of the trek is the beautiful Valley of Flowers, where you can find a variety of wildflowers in bloom.
- Roopkund Trek, Uttarakhand: This is one of the most challenging treks in India. The trek starts from the village of Lohajung, located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. On the way, you will pass through lush meadows, majestic snow-clad peaks, and dense forests. The main attraction of the trek is the mysterious Roopkund Lake, which is believed to be the home of several mythical creatures. The lake is surrounded by a number of glaciers, and offers stunning views of the Himalayan range.
The Tarsar Marsar trek is a thrilling and challenging trek located in the Kashmir Valley in India. It passes through remote and beautiful alpine meadows, high passes and lakes. The trek offers spectacular views of the majestic Himalayan peaks of the Pir Panjal and Great Himalayan range.
The Tarsar Marsar trek starts from the village of Aru and passes through the famous Lidder Valley. The trek takes you to the two beautiful alpine lakes, Tarsar and Marsar, located at an altitude of 3,800 meters and 4,200 meters respectively. The trek then takes you through the high passes of Satsar and Kishansar before descending to the meadows of Sonamarg.
The trek is physically demanding and requires a good level of fitness. It is also essential to be well-equipped with proper clothing and camping gear. The trek is best done between April and October, when the weather is most favorable for trekking.
The Tarsar Marsar trek is an unforgettable and rewarding experience. It offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and lush green meadows. It also gives you an opportunity to explore the culture and traditions of the local people in the region.